New Recipe Pairing: 2018 Pirate TreasuRed
The second in our recipe pairing series by Chef Christina Machamer - these ribs are bursting with complex, inviting flavor, and perfect for pairing with our Pirate TreasuRed! For best results, make them a day ahead and allow plenty of time for slow cooking.
7-Spice Baby Back Ribs
Pair with 2018 La Sirena Pirate TreasuRed
Summer (into early Fall) is BBQ season, and there is nothing better than the melding of smokey and sweet flavors and a wine with the complexity to match. Pirate TreasuRed, a symphony of seven varietals, sings with this 7-Spice rub paired with “fall off the bone” ribs. The recipe below is for one rack of ribs, but I recommend making a large batch, so you always have some on hand. Ribs can be made ahead of time and frozen for up to two months, so you can enjoy their richness all summer long and beyond!
7-SPICE RIB RUB
.25C Brown Sugar
2t Smoked Paprika
1t Garlic Powder
1t Onion Powder
3t Ground Mustard
1t Garlic Salt
1t Celery Salt
To taste - Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 265 degrees.
2. Remove Baby Back ribs from packaging and pat dry with a paper towel. Generously rub both
sides with 7-Spice rub and season to taste with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
3. Wrap the ribs - you can use just foil, or if you want to try a method chefs love, tightly wrap ribs in plastic wrap then aluminum foil. Don’t worry, plastic will not melt at this low oven temperature and will allow ribs to oven-braise in their own juices! But if it makes you uneasy to put plastic in the oven, feel free to use parchment paper and then foil, or just foil.
4. Place ribs on a baking sheet in a single layer, bone-side down. Bake in oven for 5 hours or until
ribs are very tender.
5. Remove ribs from oven and allow to come to room temperature before refrigerating overnight.
This allows the fat and juices to congeal and makes them easier to handle and portion.
6. Unwrap ribs and remove any congealed fat and juices. Portion into 2-3 rib segments and lather
with your favorite BBQ sauce. Re-heat ribs by grilling on both sides until warm throughout or in a
350 degree oven for approximately 15 minutes.
Recipe and photo © Christina Machamer - do not copy or reproduce without permission.
Purchase La Sirena Pirate TreasuRed